Recent work for privately-held and family-owned businesses
- Assisting two investors with structuring and establishing a franchise business, and the growth of the business through to the subsequent sale with over 50 franchisees.
- Guiding the owner of a privately-held retailer on the sale and (as promoter) “back-door” listing of its business on the NZX main board.
- Guiding an investor through his acquisition of a majority shareholding in a premium grocery retailer, and advising the retailer on a range of day-to-day legal issues.
- Helping a privately-held manufacturer and exporter to negotiate its supply and distribution agreements for England and Asia.
- Advising a family-owned distributor on its distribution agreement with an Australian food company.
- Advising a family-owned winemaker on its joint venture with an Australian brewer for the ownership and operation of a New Zealand wine processing facility.
- Guiding the management of a privately-held food manufacturer, and leading negotiations for several strategic business and brand acquisitions and a proposed joint venture with a vendor.
- Acting as a 'virtual in-house lawyer' for the New Zealand members of an Australasian trade association and providing assistance on issues with customers.
- Helping the owners of a successful family business to navigate their way through a range of personal legal issues, including trust restructuring, complex wills and estate planning, and family succession and shareholder restructuring.