We provide specialist advice on a wide range of consumer law issues including the Fair Trading Act, the Consumer Guarantees Act, privacy issues, sales and promotional law, industry-specific legislation and e-commerce.
Consumer laws have far-reaching consequences for businesses that sell goods or services either directly or indirectly to consumers. Failing to comply with consumer law obligations may expose your business to fines, significant costs, loss of profit and damage to your business reputation.
- Drafting commercial contracts including terms of trade for consumers, supply agreements and distribution agreements
- Reviewing sales and promotional material for all media (eg television, print, online, radio) prior to publication
- Drafting privacy policies
- Assisting clients to prepare press releases
- Drafting compliance programmes
- Representing clients at Commerce Commission hearings, tribunal and authority hearings
- Providing advice on changes to consumer law legislation including drafting submissions
- Advising clients on their on-line selling requirements and strategies
Consumer law experience
- Advising a large multi-franchise company on comparative advertising issues.
- Representing a publicly-listed company at an advertising Standards Authority hearing and Commerce Commission investigation.
- Reviewing marketing and promotional content for advertisements for a large food wholesaler and retailer.
- Reviewing and redrafting terms of trade, distribution and supply agreements for a global brand of honey.
- Drafting terms and conditions for a private school.
- Advising a large food and beverage manufacturer on its product labelling requirements.
- Revising the retail client terms for a foreign exchange/currency service provider.