Disputes often arise between the owners of the business or with suppliers or customers or on the sale of the business. As the business landscape becomes more compliance orientated and complicated, the issues and disputes tend to be more complex.
Our Litigation and Dispute Resolution team have extensive experience in helping clients to resolve complex business disputes and in the effective use of negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation. The team is supported by our Business Law Team to provide a comprehensive service.
Our core client base consists of medium to large privately-held and family-owned companies and high growth businesses in the food and beverage, retail, FMCG, manufacturing, self- storage and business services industries. Our depth of experience and our diverse client base strengthen our understanding and ability to resolve your business law disputes and litigation.
- Complex business disputes and effectively utilising legal processes such as negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation
- Effectively resolving disputes arising from the sale of businesses
- Providing advice and guidance on shareholder disputes
- Resolving disputes within closely held family companies
- Providing strategic advice in relation to restructuring in a contentious environment
- Termination of contracts and litigation to recover property and losses
- Injunctive relief and the return of property taken from the business
- Pursuing a party in default under a contract and recovery of losses
- Enforcing security rights against property and pursuing guarantors
- Recovering losses and defending actions for negligence
- Claims under the Fair Trading Act and misrepresentation
Business disputes and litigation experience
- The commencement and defence of High Court proceedings in relation to the sale of a business including arguments over turnover warranties and pre-sale representations.
- Obtaining injunctive relief to recover property from a former business partner operating in competition.
- Termination of supply and lease contracts and utilising litigation to recover losses against multiple guarantors.
- Assisting a private equity owned supplier to enforce security rights to trace and recover proceeds of sale and the commencement of litigation against guarantors.
- Advising a privately held manufacturer and exporter on the enforcement of security to take and sell product in reduction of debt.
- Enforcement of franchise rights and the recovery of losses.
- Resolving disputes concerning product and equipment failure.
- The valuation and sale of shares in a family controlled company.
- Appearances in front of the Advertising Standards Authority and negotiations with the Commerce Commission.