As a result, there is real potential for things to go wrong and, if not carefully managed, it can escalate into a dispute.
It is important to bring together the right team and to put in place a construction contract that sets out clear rules and processes for dealing with issues as they arise. It is equally important to know what to do when issues about cost, delays and quality arise and they invariably do.
We have considerable experience in construction projects from general advice to negotiating construction contracts and consultancy service agreements to later resolving issues and disputes. Our construction team is supported by our property and business lawyers to provide a comprehensive service.
Our clients include property owners, developers, project managers, architects, designers, contractors, sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Preparing NZS3910 and NZS3915 contracts
- Drafting bespoke construction contracts
- Negotiating Builder standard form contracts
- Preparing Consultancy Agreements
- Drafting Novation and Assignment Agreements
- Preparing contract and invoice documentation to comply with the Construction Contracts Act 2002
- Resolving issues and disputes arising under most forms of contract
- Adjudication under the Construction Contracts Act
- Adjudication in the Weathertight Homes Tribunal
- High Court legal proceedings to resolve issues
- Mediation and Arbitration including International Arbitration
Construction and building disputes experience
- Preparing and negotiating a NZS3910 contract for a multi-story building in Christchurch.
- Negotiating an NZS3910 contract for remediation of a 60+ unit residential building.
- Tailoring NZS3915 for a specialist recladding contractor.
- Drafting a bespoke construction contract for a specialist residential builder.
- Novation of a high-end residential construction contract with sub-contractors.
- Advising clients of risks with builder-prepared contracts and builder organisation guarantees.
- Bringing complex Adjudication proceedings under the Construction Contracts Act 2002.
- Numerous WHT Claims for home-owners, developers, builders, project managers, architects and designers including resolution at mediation and contested Adjudication hearings.