Jackson Russell has a long and proud history as one of New Zealand’s oldest law firms: we’re almost as old as New Zealand itself. For over 175 years we have provided high quality legal services to New Zealand’s individuals, families, businesses and institutions.
1844: The firm was founded by Frederick Ward Merriman in 1844, and became known as Merriman & Jackson when Samuel Jackson joined Merriman in partnership in 1856.
1865: The firm became known as Jackson & Russell after Merriman died in 1865, Jackson having been joined in partnership by James Russell, one of four brothers who made their mark in the New Zealand legal profession.
1865 – 1890s: For the next 20 years or so the firm, like others in Auckland at that time, was much engaged in legal work connected with land speculation and gold mining.
1870s: Jackson Russell has always had premises in the Shortland Street and Fort Street areas of Auckland. Back in the 1870s the offices were in Shortland Street just above the High Street corner.
1894: Jackson Russell’s longest-standing client first became a client of the firm. Many of today's clients are proud to claim third and fourth generation relationships and commercial connections exist with some of Auckland's earliest enterprises.
1915: With additions to the partnership the firm became Jackson Russell Tunks & Ostler, and then in 1925, after Ostler was appointed to the Bench, Jackson Russell Tunks & West.
1976: The firm moved premises from 23 Shortland Street (Jackson & Russell Building) to the new Sun Alliance Building at 42 Shortland Street.
1984: The firm shortened its name to Jackson Russell.
1988: Jackson Russell merged with Dignan Armstrong & Jordan to become Jackson Russell Dignan Armstrong.
1991: Jackson Russell moved off Shortland Street, just around the corner to 9 Princes Street.
1996: The firm name was changed back to Jackson Russell.
2011: Jackson Russell moved to its current premises at Level 13, 41 Shortland Street.
Today: In keeping with the growth of Auckland and rapidly changing times Jackson Russell has expanded considerably in the last 40 years. It has undergone many changes in personnel, premises, equipment, procedures and philosophy to provide the services demanded of a modern legal practice today.