Previous projects have included advising:
- Trustees and Executors in complex and high profile High Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court litigation involving novel points of law.
- A private equity-owned food manufacturer in the High Court and Court of Appeal on issues with distributors, risks arising from complex security and business transactions, guarantor defaults and debt collection.
- A national franchise food retailer in the High Court on customer and guarantor defaults, liquidation and insolvency challenges, media issues and engaging with the Advertising Standards Authority and Commerce Commission.
- A privately-held food manufacturer and exporter on processing equipment issues, customer defaults and exercising security rights under the Personal Property Securities Act.
- A boutique supermarket operator on commercial acquisition and lease issues including direct negotiation leading to resolution.
- A privately-held liquor manufacturer and distributor on an array of issues including distribution agreements, intellectual property and infringement of competition rights, customer defaults, sale to private equity interests and appearances in the District and High Courts and at mediation.
- Developers, project managers, builders and owners on construction contract terms including NZS3910 and NZ3915 and issues arising during construction.
- Home owners, architects, project managers, developers, contractors and the trades on construction issues including CCA Adjudication, Weathertight Home Tribunal and High Court proceedings.
- A vineyard owner on complex and large scale resource management issues in the Environment Court.
- On High Court proceedings involving issues and disputes under business and property sale and purchase agreements including resolution through mediation.
- Shareholders and Directors involving company disputes and conflict and resolution through direct negotiation.
- Financiers, suppliers and debtors in the High Court on defaults under finance, lease and supply agreements including recovery action against debtor companies and guarantors.
- Liquidators and Receivers on an array of issues including the recovery of assets in the High Court, reckless director claims, voidable preference claims, novel points of law and competing priority claims.
- A large Body Corporate to successfully obtain an s48 High Court approved scheme, unit tile and rules, contentious EGMs and remediation of leaky building issues.
- A significant single purpose charitable trust in High Court proceeding involving tenancy issues, lease and guarantor defaults, and rent review Arbitration and Appeal.
- Private schools on development projects and debt collection.
- A superyacht builder on construction issues including International Arbitration in London.
- A shareholder in complex High Court litigation concerning the sale of shares in a film production company.
Mark is a member of several industry organisations including NZ Society of Construction Law, RITANZ - a specialist insolvency interest group, NZ Credit and Finance Institute, and the Property Section of the NZ Law Society. He has a law degree and a bachelor of arts degree from the University of Otago. He has also studied extra-murally and is interested in effective mediation and dispute resolution.
He spends his spare time with his wife and two young girls and sharing his interest in good wine and the outdoors including skiing, mountain-biking, road cycling, running, water-skiing and many other pursuits.